Case Studies

St.John's School - Northwood

St. John's School - Northwood is an independent day school for some 390 boys, aged three to thirteen and was founded in 1920 in Pinner. Fifty years later the school moved to its present site and in 1984 it was acquired by the Merchant Taylors' Educational Trust.

During 2009 as part of a review of its fire safety the School's internal Fire Safety Committee looked at revising and simplifying both its existing Fire Safety Policy and Emergency Plan to ensure these were both suitable and sufficient for the Tag Stationschool site in its entirety.

In assessing the above, consideration was also given to the comments provided within the annual review of Fire Risk Assessment carried out in accordance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Part of the assessment focussed on whether suitable measures were in place to ensure all staff, pupils and visitors could be accounted for at any time of the day, regardless of the school curriculum or other special activities taking place.

 

Tag RemovalWhen the school's Bursar was introduced to the new TAGEVAC™ system the benefits were immediately obvious and it was decided to incorporate this system within their existing Emergency Plan to provide clarity of information during an evacuation, and to be able to provide this to the Fire Brigade on their arrival. This also provided an opportunity to evaluate the existing appointment of Fire Wardens and how this could be improved where necessary to ensure Tagevac Foldersuitable and sufficient coverage throughout all areas of the school buildings.

To clarify their zoning, the school decided to split each building on a floor by floor basis or where considered necessary into departments, for example Music and Art. The overriding principle was to ensure that each zone could be effectively checked by each relevant fire warden quickly without jeopardising safety.

 

 

ParAid House Weston Lane Birmingham B11 3RS UK